Nevada State Bank has been helping family-owned businesses since our founding more than 50 years ago. We recognize that owning a family business presents challenges as well as opportunities. We have the experience, the resources and the know-how to help you face those challenges and make your company a success for generations to come.
While your banker can provide you personalized assistance, we have several online resources that are available 24/7. Our quarterly newsletter and on-demand webinars both highlight key areas of interest, and challenge, for family businesses. Click on the links below for convenient resources.
Family Business Newsletter
Spring 2015 - In this issue:
- The Spark Behind Cache Valley Electric
- The Family Office
- Back in Business
- Letting Go is a Two-Way Street
Winter 2014 - In this issue:
- Epic Landscape Construction: The next generation is prepared
- Develop the Next Generation with a Mentor Team
- How Successful Business Families Get That Way
- Tool of the Trade: Ownership Recordkeeping
Fall 2014 - In this issue:
- PrintWest: Two Businesses, Two Fathers, Two Sons
- Leveraging Change to Achieve Continuity
- Successful Ownership Transitions Rest on Strong, Knowledgeable Shareholders
Summer 2014 - In this issue:
- Bob's Crane Service: From First Generation to Next
- Developing Tomorrow's Leaders
- How Successful Business Families Get That Way
- The Three Fears of Retirement
Spring 2014 - In this issue:
- Kalb Industries: Passing the Torch
- Parting Ways: Let My People Go
- The Shadow Effect of the Founding Generation on the Sibling Partnership
Winter 2013 - In this issue:
- Strong Family Values Bring Family Business Success
- Decision-Making on Family Business Matters
- Do’s and Don’ts for Bringing the Next Generation into the Family Business
Fall 2013 - In this issue:
- Part of A Larger Community
- Owners’ Discussion on Selling the Business
- Honoring Both Family and Business Considerations in Compensation Approaches
- 10 Strategic Questions for the Next Generation
Summer 2013 - In this issue:
- Fifth Generation Company Still Going Strong
- "To Sell or Not to Sell"—That Is Not the Only Question
- Developing a Winning Strategy for Family and Business: The Parallel Planning Process
- Passing the Baby: The 8 Must - Haves of Successful Continuity Planning
Spring 2013 - In this issue:
- Relevant Resources to Help Your Family Business Succeed
- Are Next-Generation Family Members Qualified to Lead?
- Living with Your Will
- Should I call you DAD? And other perils of working for your family business
Webinar: You Aren't the Boss of Me - Resolving Sibling Disputes in the Family Business
The transfer of business leadership from founder to children can often be infected with sibling rivalry. The experiences of our childhood can scuttle our working relationships as adults.
Learn how to understand the natural and normal tensions between siblings, know what to expect when siblings work in a business together, and discover techniques to help resolve sibling disputes within the family business.
Webinar: Managing Conflict in Family Business
Did you know that some conflicts can actually be beneficial? Managing conflict is challenging in any business setting-family business or not. The key is knowing how to leverage conflict into an advantage. The dynamics that produce conflict within a family intersect with the challenges of owning and operating a business, potentially complicating both. This webinar will identify family business conflict patterns, roles, and tactics.
Webinar: Financing Transitions in a Family Business
Don't get tricked into thinking you have limited options. If a family-owned company is to provide opportunities for future generations, it must plan both adequate shareholder liquidity and sufficient business capital.
Learn how careful planning and financial techniques can help you retain business control and make wise choices among the many available alternatives.
Webinar: Family Business - Performance Expectations, Evaluation & Compensation
Without proper care and consideration, the process of agreeing to expectations and evaluating and rewarding performance in a family business may cause damaging disruption.
Learn "best practices" that will help you more clearly define framework for determining an appropriate mix of salary, bonuses, benefits, perks and distributions.
Webinar: Governance and Decision Making for the Business Owning Family
- How do I manage family relationships while protecting the health of our business?
- What are fair processes for hiring family members, managing conflicts, and passing shares to the next generation?
- How can we pass on a legacy of guiding principles?
Webinar: Moral Agreements & Governance in Family Business
- What processes and policies will help us develop alignment between our family members, business owners and management?
- How can governance measures prevent problems now and keep us out of court later?
Webinar: The Ten Must-Haves for Excellent Succession Planning
- How can my succession plan balance the needs of my business with the wants of my family?
- How do I begin to determine the next leader of my business?
- How should I plan, manage and communicate my retirement plans to my family, partners and employees?
Webinar: Making the Family Business Work
- Provides a basic understanding of key family business concepts
- Discusses the challenges and complexities of family business
- Gives you tools and resources for family business discussions
- Looks at key components of succession planning
|Nevada State Bank is proud to sponsor Nevada Business Magazine’s Family Owned Business Awards. Click here to see a special supplement featuring all the finalists.|